Anything to search?

Friday, August 22, 2014

Jedi Studies 101.-Lesson Two: Core Ethics part 1

1.-Loyalty to the Code
What codes are you familiar with, Jedi or otherwise? Do you find them beneficial in your life?
As I am working in my Creed 101 Workbook, I am familiar with the three Jedi Codes, the shorter and modified version of Odan Urr's Code and the Skywalker Code. I've never liked very much the Skywalker Code, although I recognise that I defines fine a Jedi's duty nor the original "There is no emotion, there is peace" Code, it is too absolute for me, even with interpretation. I prefer the shorter "Emotion, yet peace" five-lined version. Apart from these "defined" three codes, I don't know more. I have a lot of values which guide my behaviour, but they aren't exactly "defined" codes, just principles I have adopted as I have grown up: that every creature is as important and valuable as anyone else, and must be treated like that; that we must respect nature because represents a very important part of ourselves; that every piece of knowledge makes us grow as people, so we must seek it and never reject it, that we should never judge a person's behaviour without knowing his/her true motives; that we must be empathic and kind to everyone even if they aren't kind with us... and etc.
I do find these moral codes beneficial. They describe my path and make it easier to return to it when I get lost. They also describe my behaviour, which allows me to avoid being random.

2.-Duty to all
How can you serve your community in your current capacity in the offline world? How can you serve the Jedi community?
I serve my community in little ways. I'm good at maths and physics, between other subjects, and, as those subjects are very problematic to a lot of students, I try to help them during the schoolyear and also give classes during the summer. I also tidy my neighbours' garden because they are too old to do it by themselves, and help my father with household duties when I can. My "students" and my neighbourds give me some money, but I really don't care, I help them because I want to. At school, this year I was a member of the Student Council and representative of my grade and I "work" as librarian with some friends at my high school's library twice a week. I also try to listen to people's problems and try to help them find a solution. Every months I donate food, clothes and money to a local NGO which helps poor people and sick chlildren, too.
How can I serve the Jedi community? Well, each time I post something on the web, I like to think that maybe some of my experiences/exercises will be useful to anybody else. I participate in discussions every time I can and give my opinion if I think it can be useful. As I am Spanish, I can also translate important post to my lenguage. And I think that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment